Southworth Library News and Events
Our mission is to serve the greater Dryden area as an educational and cultural center which provides free printed, electronic and audiovisual resources for the general public to inform, enlighten and entertain.
Get ready for a whole new look for our website starting in March!
It has been a very cold winter and sometimes the library has to close due to weather. PLEASE call the library (during open hours) to verify that we are open before you bundle up and head over! Stay warm!
Download our calendar for all of the great events and programs this February Here
BONKERS FOR BOOKS on Wednesday, February 18 at 2 and PAWS to Read on Thursday, February 19 at 2- Don't miss the fun!
Saturday, Feb 21 at 1 pm: Meet Katrina Morse
Katrina Morse local author and illustrator is coming to the library Saturday, February 21 at 1 pm for another great Family Storytime sponsored by the Rosen Library Fund of the Community Foundation of TOmpkins County
WW1: A World Remade: An Adult Reading & Discussion group at the library starts February 26 at 7 pm
- Participants will come together ove rthe course of five sessions to discuss the various aspects of the "War to End All Wars' and its impact on modern society and warfare. The series will be facilitated by Dr. Dave Flaten and will use novels, essays, poetry, short stories and film clips as a basis for conversation. Materials are available at the library inclucing the Introductory essay which can also be downloaded :
- Meetings have been scheduled on Thursday evenings at 7 pm as follows:
- February 26 : The War to End All Wars: All Quiet on the Western Front
- March 26: The Call to Arms (and its Dissenters)
- April 23: Incalculable Losses: The Battle of Verdun
- May 14: Technology, Horror and dehumanization
- June 11: Trying to Make Sense of the Senseless
- The program, sponsored by the Ne York Council for the Humanities is free and open to all. Participants may come to one or all of the sessions. Call or email Diane at the library for more information
Family Reading and Discussion Group
The program, designed for children age 8 - 12 and their parent/caregivers, meets every other Tuesday night from 6 - 7:30 for dinner and discussion. The themes for this program are courage, acceptance and perseverance. The books will be as follows:
- January 13: Gleam and Glow by Eve Bunting
- January 27: Call it Courage by Armstrong Perry
- February 10: Smoky Night by Eve Bunting
- February 24: Wild Wings by Gill Lewis
- March 10: A Boy Named Beckoning
- March 24: Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
The program is free but pre-registration is required. Please contact the library to sign up or for more information+
This program is provided through generous grant funding from the New York Council for the Humanities, the Deborah and Corwin Holtz Library grant and the Cortland Walmart Local Giving Fund
Regular storytimes every Wednesday and Friday at 10 am - check the calendar or kids page for details
Cuddle-Up storytime for infants, toddlers and their caregivers- Wednesday mornings at 10 a.m. (No Cuddleup on 12/17,26 and 31)
Join us for our preschool storytime Fridays at 10 a.m.- Give your child the gift of reading!
See the kid's page for more information.
E-book users! Audiobooks on your iPhone! You can download titles from Overdrive now for almost any device! It is SO easy - a click or two away
WANT TO VOLUNTEER?
WE NEED YOU! We are looking for readers in our Traveling Books program to day care facilities, and for in-house library functions- get an application form here or at the library and talk to us about becoming part of the library team! Can't come regularly? Ask about the "adopt a shelf" program and do it at your convenience.
NEED A LIBRARY CARD? Fill out this application form and bring it in along with identification and something with your current address. We look forward to serving you!
Can't find a book or other item you want? Be sure to let us know and we would be happy to help get it in your hands!
WE REGRET TO INFORM THAT WE WILL BE UNABLE TO DO OUR FALL BOOKSALE THIS YEAR. PLEASE COME INTO THE LIBRARY AND CHECK OUT THE SILENT BOOK SALE - $1 books all year long-The Southworth Library Board of Trustees meets on the third Monday of January, April, July and October at 7 pm at the library. Let us know if you would like to attend or have issues to address.